Russian New Rich Burning Banknotes For Fun. They Might Be Closer To The Truth Than We Are

January 6, 2012

Russian New Rich Burning Banknotes For Fun. They Might Be Closer To The Truth Than We Are

Ivan Godunov writes from Moscow: The Russian oligarchs, who’ve made their money in all sorts of crazy semi-legal and illegal schemes, mostly by coming into possession of state owned assets for a fraction of their real value, have this weird habit of getting drunk and burning banknotes of large denominations, showing off in front of each other. The 500 euro notes are the preferred denomination in such cases. It’s only paper, they’d be saying, lighting up another couple of 500 euro notes. How right they are, these barbarians! Paper money has not really been holding value well in recent times. In fact, since the 1970s, when governments discreetly dropped the gold equivalent that propped up paper money, the value of these pieces of paper was constantly diminishing. Nowadays paper money’s... 

Let’s Assume For A Moment That Most Of The New Rich Are Idiots

June 5, 2011

Let’s Assume For A Moment That Most Of The New Rich Are Idiots

Adam Lovejoy writes from London: Let’s assume, for argument’s sake, that most of the new rich are idiots amd have no taste and no class and no understanding of what beauty is, having made their money either because they are bent as hell or simply because they found themselves in the right place at the right time – and grabbed their chance. Let’s even put a figure on it, assuming that 90 per cent of them are as thick as an ironing board, but still consider themselves to be suave, refined and with a good eye for art and culture, while the remaining 10 per cent are thick as well – but at least know it and keep their heads down. Let’s concentrate on the 90 per cent. These are the people, who dictate their so-called taste to artists and designers and architects and sculptors... 

The New Rich Have No Style, No Class, No Taste. No Anything

November 13, 2010

The New Rich Have No Style, No Class, No Taste. No Anything

Dan Majestic writes: Let me tell you something about the new rich: they have no style, no class, no taste, no anything. They got lucky once or twice with money, or ripped off others, and made a fortune. No big deal usually. Not that they have toiled all their lives for it. And they start to behave as if they have some god given right to be idiots. Have you ever been inside a house where the new rich live? It’s always a palace of vulgarity: huge horrible looking chandeliers hang from the ceilings, gold painted door knobs, gold toilet seats and other objects of worship gleam out of everywhere. Colours clash like a bunch of rappers on dope and hideous modern furniture that only a total lunatic would buy would be screaming out of every corner. And there would be terrible modern paintings hanging...